Is your internet acting sluggish? Follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem, and improve your internet speeds.
How to Improve Your Internet Speed:
Is it one site or every site?
- If you're seeing slow speeds on a particular website, try visiting two or three other sites and clicking different links.
- If the other pages seem fine, there may be a temporary problem with the site that's being slow for you.
- Try the site at another time to see if it's faster.
- If every website is slow, go to step 3.
Who else is using your home network?
- If there are a lot of wireless devices sharing your home network, your family's activity may cause your connection to slow down.
- Find out if someone is:
- Streaming media
- Downloading large files
- Online gaming
- Broadcasting live video
- If your family always has a lot of traffic, think about getting an update to your modem or an upgrade your Fiber Internet Speed.
- If no one else is tying up your network, go to step 4.
Is the problem on one device, or all devices in your home?
- Test some other devices on your home network.
- Is another computer faster? Is your mobile device running OK?
- If all devices are slow, you may have a network issue. Skip to step 7 to reboot your equipment.
- If only one device is slow, the problem is with that device. Go to step 5.
Is your device configured properly?
- Try clearing your web browser's cache in the settings and preferences..
- Disable unused add-ons to your browser.
- Update your browser to the latest version (it's free).
- If you haven't rebooted your computer or mobile device in weeks, taking a moment to do that could help a lot.
- If your device is using an older version of Windows or another older operating system, consider upgrading.
Is background activity slowing you down?
- If you use a file-syncing service like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, they might be moving data in the background. Quit or pause those services when you need more speed.
- Is your device getting an automatic software update? Schedule updates to happen when you’re not using your device.
- Clear your cache to help with site loading times.
- If your speed is still slow, go to step 7.