Use these tips to get the most from your wireless network.
Understand your equipmentKeep devices current and secure
- Ziply Fiber equipment includes a combined modem and wireless router that connects smart devices like computers, tablets, watches and smartphones to the internet.
- We support any equipment provided to you by Ziply Fiber. If you change to a router not provided by Ziply Fiber, please contact the manufacturer for help.
- Make sure your devices that use WiFi are using the most up-to-date operating systems.
An updated computer or device will work better with your wireless network. Newer operating systems have features and setup wizards made for home or business networking.
- Your Ziply Fiber router can work with all modern wireless standards including 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11ac.
The router’s firmware is updated regularly and automatically. You don’t have to do anything.
- Protect your network from intruders. When you configure your router, choose the option to enable encryption.
Prevent Signal InterferenceConsider building construction
- Place your router off the floor, as high as possible, and near the center of your space.
- Internet reception differs throughout any given home or workplace. Wireless signal may be reduced in spaces that have metal studs or plaster walls with wire mesh inside.
- If your space has many hard-to-reach dead areas, try using a wireless extender to increase your coverage.
- Appliances like microwave ovens and cordless phones can interfere with your wireless signal. Place your wireless router at least 10 feet from this kind of electromagnetic equipment.